The reason you cry when you cut onions is because of the high sulfur content. Yellow onion has the highest sulfur content out of all four options.
The sulfur content does mellow when cooked and borders on the sweeter side.
Sweet onions are so called because of their sugar content. If you wish to caramelize onions, sweet onions are your best bet.
White onion is similar to a yellow onion except it is slightly sweeter showing a colour difference.
Red onions are super mild so much so you can eat them raw. They make for a glizzy topper and they can be pickled as well.
Pickle Recipe for Red Onions
- Divide the onion and shred the half using a shredder for thinly sliced pieces. You can slice them with a knife also.
- Put them in a glass
- Add two cups of vinegar and two cups of water
- Add 50 grams of sugar in a quarter (1/4) cup
- Add 3 tableful spoonful of salt
- Cook over stove until everything is dissolved
- You can add pickling spice, thyme, mint (optional)
- Let it sit for hours
You can taste to feel the crunch