With talk of tomato puree on the Ghanaian market heavily constituted of flour and other items, it’s time to take making your own tomato paste or puree a priority.
According to Kojo Akoto Boateng, formerly of Citi FM who is currently into farming, “the natural tomato content of Salsa is 28% minimum. Gino and Tasty Tom are 7% minimum.” A damning verdict then on foreign constituted materials we ingest with view of a tomato paste via jollof, stews and what not.
PROCESS OF MAKING HOMEMADE TOMATO PASTE
1. Wash and deseed your tomatoes
2. Pour in cooking ware and then add beetroot, carrot, pepper, rosemary and water
3. Cover the pot and bring to a boil for 30 minutes
4. Pour into a blender and blend till smooth
5. Pour content into a pot and boil under slow heat to dissipate water and thicken
6. Allow to cool and then pack into airtight jars or containers and keep in the fridge
When ready to use, simply bring a jar out and scoop quantity desired.